Tea time is looked forward to by many especially in evenings as it’s the time when people are done with most of their every day tasks and sit back to relax and rejuvenate. However, it is also the time when people give in to their cravings of munching something unhealthy and over a period of time this harmless and heavenly half-n-hour of ‘me-time’ can start showing up on your waistline. We all are very much aware of the health issues that come with obesity and thus it’s important to be careful of what you are putting in your snacking bowl. Snacking on something healthy will not only boost your overall well-being but help ward off unwanted weight gain.
Susmita, Executive Nutritionist, Cloudnine Group of Hospitals, Bellandur, Bangalore suggests 5 healthy chips recipes that you can make or bake at home for healthy munching.
1. APPLE WHEELS
One of the healthiest of all fruits, apple can be turned into a delectable snack to be enjoyed during tea time. Here’s how you can make apple wheels.
– Pre-heat the oven to 180 degree celsius.
– Slice the apple into 1 cm slices.
– Place them in baking tray or parchment paper evenly.
– Bake the apple slices for 2-3 hours or until the apple dries and become crisp. Don’t forget to flip them once in a while.
– Air fry at 180 degree celsius for 10 minutes and flipping every 4 minutes.
These slices can be eaten with sweet lemon yogurt also. Add sugar and cinnamon before baking to make it sweeter.
2. CRISPY ZUCCHINI
High in potassium, folate and Vitamin A, zucchini can pack a nutritional punch and is also low in calories, fat and sugar.
– Pre-heat the oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit
– Slice the zucchini to thin slices and pat dry them with cloth.
– In a large mixing bowl, mix the zucchini slices, salt, pepper/periperi/ seasoning of choice, 1 table spoon of olive oil.
– Place the marinated slices in baking tray evenly.
– Bake for 1.5 hours at 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
– Air fry at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes each side or until they turn golden brown.
3. PAPER THIN KALE/LETTUCE
Kale and lettuce are much respected names in the wellness parlance because of their high antioxidant levels. They have beta-carotene and vitamin C, along with various flavonoids and polyphenol.
– Pre heat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
– Wash and cut kale into bite size, dry it completely to remove excess water.
– In mixing bowl, mix kale leaves, 1 table spoon olive oil and salt as required.
– Place them evenly in baking tray. Do not overlap, or else the leaves will not get crisp evenly.
– Bake them at 150 degree celsius for 20 minutes or until the edges start to brown. Do not let it turn brown.
– Air fry at 180 degree celsius for 4 minutes.
Another variation is with Lettuce with same steps.
4. SWEET POTATO CRISPS
From diabetes to heart disease, sweet potato can help ease symptoms of many a disease. Try these chips at home.
– Pre-heat the oven to 120 degree celsius.
– Slice/cut them into thick Julienne.
– In mixing bowl, mix the cut potatoes, 1 table spoon olive oil and salt as required and place them on baking tray.
– Bake them at 150 degree celsius for 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes. Flip midway.
– Air fry at 200 degree Celsius for 30 minutes or till golden brown.
5. CARROT RIBBONS
A weight-loss friendly food, carrots are a powerhouse of beta carotene, fibre, Vitamin K1, potassium, and antioxidants. Here’s how you can make carrot ribbons.
– Pre-heat the oven to 200 degree celsius.
– Using vegetable peeler, peel the carrots into thin strips.
– In mixing bowl, mix the carrots ribbons, 1 table spoon olive oil and salt as required and place them on baking tray evenly
-Bake them at 200 degree celsius for 20 minutes or until it starts to become crisp.
– Air fry at 200 degree celsius for 30 minutes or till they turn golden brown.
These healthy delicious gluten free chips can be stored in airtight containers and are best for those mid meal cravings.
Source : hindustantimes